ACH134: The construction of the Washington Monument in the 19th century was hampered by many delays and problems. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tell us that one of the strangest controversies surrounded a stone donated to the project by Pope Pius IX and the anti-Catholic conspiracy theories that resulted.
Get all new episodes automatically and for free:
Follow by Email | Listen to this episode and follow on YouTube.
Help us continue to offer American Catholic History. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- The Pope’s Stone Mystery: Is The Evidence in Smithsonian? – The Washington Post
- When Washington, D.C. Gave the Pope a Truly Rocky Reception | Mental Floss
- When Hatred of Immigrants Stopped the Washington Monument from Being Built – Long Island Wins
- The Pope’s Stone | Catholic Journal
- “To the immortal name and memory of George Washington” – The United States Army Corps of Engineers and the Construction of the Washington Monument
- Learn about our upcoming pilgrimages to important and unforgettable Catholic holy sites
- If you like American Catholic History, you may also enjoy The American Catholic Almanac. To find other books about this and other topics covered in the podcast, please visit the American Catholic History store. Your purchases there help support the show.
- Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Join the conversation at the StarQuest Facebook page.
- Send us your feedback or comments at [email protected]
Want to Sponsor A Show?
Support StarQuest’s mission to explore the intersection of faith and pop culture by becoming a named sponsor of the show of your choice on the StarQuest network. Click to get started or find out more.