TEC051: With the recent tech troubles in the Iowa caucus and fears of social media disinformation affecting the November vote, Dom Bettinelli, Fr. Andrew Kinstetter, and Thomas Sanjurjo discuss the future of e-voting and what we can do to safeguard democracy while bringing elections in the 21st century.
Help us continue to offer Secrets of Technology. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- YouTube lays out disinformation policy ahead of primary vote – The Verge
- Iowa Democrats say sloppy app code delayed caucus results | Engadget
- Motherboard just published the terrible app that caused chaos at the Iowa caucuses – The Verge
- Election tech was supposed to clean up the Iowa caucus — instead, it may have killed it – The Verge
- Facebook knows a lot about your online habits – here’s how to stop it – Naked Security
- Traffic jams in Google Maps could be spoofed with 99 phones and a little red wagon – The Verge
- LastPass to Drop Support for Native Mac App and Replace it With Universal Web App – MacRumors
- xkcd comic: Password Strength
Picks of the Week:
- Fr. Andrew: Globe Electric Wi-Fi Smart Multicolor LED Light Bulb
- Thomas: JuiceSSH – Free SSH client for Android
- Dom: Molekule air purifer
Disclaimer: Hosts, panelists, and guests may have a financial interest in the companies discussed through investments or other means. Their opinions and recommendations are not affected and do not present a conflict of interest. We offer this statement in the interest of full disclosure.