MYS083: Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein revolutionized physics and our understanding of the universe with the fundamental laws of gravity. But in 1933 scientists noticed the galaxies were not behaving the way they should. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli explore the theories to explain why, including the mysterious dark matter and dark energy.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- Marcia Bartusiak’s book The Day We Found the Universe
- Michael Brooks’s book 13 Things That Don’t Make Sense
- Thomas Levenson’s book The Hunt for Vulcan
- Sabine Hossenfelder’s video “Dark matter. Or what?”
- Sabine Hossenfelder’s video “What Is Dark Energy?”
- Sabine Hossenfelder’s video on the paper challenging dark energy
- Sabine Hossenfelder’s video “Modified gravity, demystified”
- Sabine Hossenfelder’s video combining dark matter and modified gravity
- Matt O’Dowd’s video “No Dark Matter = Proof of Dark Matter?”
- Galaxies without dark matter
- Dark Matter (Wikipedia)
- Dark Energy (Wikipedia)
- Episode 20: The Lost Planet Vulcan
- The 1920 Great Debate
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback