TEC052: Our private data is leaking out of our technology in thousands of ways. Dom Bettinelli, Jack Baruzzini, and Thomas Sanjurjo discuss ways to plug some of those leaks and the obstacles keeping us from data security. Plus Google’s new search ads, headlines, and picks of the week.
Help us continue to offer Secrets of Technology. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- The Cost of Avast’s Free Antivirus: Companies Can Spy on Your Clicks | PCMag
- Ring Doorbell App Packed with Third-Party Trackers | Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Technology columnist spent a year tracking his data, grabbing it back
- In smart apartments, is tenants’ privacy for rent? – The Boston Globe
- Google’s ads just look like search results now – The Verge
- Google’s latest user-hostile design change makes ads and search results look identical – TechCrunch
- U.S. files lawsuits over robocall scams, cites ‘massive financial losses’
- Oscar winner Taika Waititi says Writers Guild union needs to get Apple to fix the MacBook keyboards – 9to5Mac
- 8-year-old spends $1,875 on Roblox in-app purchases by adding her fingerprint to TouchID | iMore
Picks of the Week:
- Thomas: GIMP – GNU Image Manipulation Program
- Jack: Bitdefender Antivirus Free
- Dom: Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera
Disclaimer: Hosts, panelists, and guests may have a financial interest in the companies discussed through investments or other means. Their opinions and recommendations are not affected and do not present a conflict of interest. We offer this statement in the interest of full disclosure.