MYS068: In the ancient world, many people believed the Earth is flat and today some still believe that it is a flat disc. Jimmy Akin and Dom Bettinelli give a fair and balanced exploration of the arguments and evidence for a flat earth and for a globe earth and offer a solution to this mystery.
Help us continue to offer Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World. Won’t you make a pledge at SQPN.com/give today?
Links for this episode:
- SAGITTA FORMULA: The correct formula for the sagitta (S) of the Earth at a given distance (D), given its radius (R), is S = R – R(cos(D/2R))
- Nathan Roberts’s book “The Doctrine of the Shape of the Earth”
- Mark Sargent’s book “Flat Earth Clues”
- Gordon Brooks’s book “The Earth Is Not Flat”
- 10 Easy Ways You Can Tell For Yourself the Earth Is Not Flat
- Flat Earth Society
- Mark Sargent’s YouTube channel
- The book Zetetic Astronomy (see pp. 8, 10, 12)
- Bedford Level Experiment
- Salton Sea Experiment
- Atmospheric Refraction
- Calculating Sagittas
- 8 Inches Per Mile Squared Counterproof
- Earth Curve Calculator
- Earth Curve Calculator Source
- Capt. Jeff’s podcast Airline Pilot Guy
- Please spread the word about the podcast. Leave us a review on Apple Podcasts!
- Purchase the books and other material from this and other episodes at the Mysterious World Bookstore.
- Join the conversation at the Starquest Facebook page and the Jimmy Akin’s Mysterious World Facebook page.
- Send your feedback or comments to [email protected] or send a tweet with the hashtag of #mysteriousfeedback